Anxiety signs and symptoms
While anxiety may not seem like a huge problem to some people, it can actually cause quite a bit of problems in a person’s life. Basically, anxiety is a feeling of nervousness. Many people experience this as a normal part of life, but at times it can become overwhelming. Worry and fear also play a large role in anxiety. These emotions can make it difficult to sleep or get your normal activities accomplished.
Below we are going to go into the various symptoms of anxiety as well as some of the problems it can cause, including panic attacks or other mental disorders. We also have a short look at some of the ways to treat anxiety – either at home or with the assistance of a health professional. By the time you are done reading, you should have a very good overview of anxiety, including the best ways to treat anxiety so you do not have to suffer from panic attacks and other anxiety related disorders.
Symptoms of Anxiety
Most people are going to experience four or more of the symptoms listed below. The signs will usually develop within a short period of time – sometimes as little as ten minutes. And for some people, they can be very overwhelming. Others may only experience mild symptoms, but if you are plagued by four or more of the below, you may have problems with anxiety.
- Being unable to think clearly
- Chest pain
- Detachment from the world
- Shortness of breath
- Sense of choking
- Extreme fear of dying
- Hot flashes
As you can see, there are a lot of signs that will point to someone having anxiety. While the symptoms may be mild for some, others face really extreme symptoms that may result in a panic attack. Next we are going to take a look at some of the ways you can treat anxiety. Making sure you take steps to keep your anxiety, nervousness and worry under control is very important.
Treatments for Anxiety
You may be able to treat some of the symptoms of anxiety at home on your own, but if things get serious or escalate, you want to make sure you get professional medical help. Here are some of the basic ways you can get over a panic attack or feeling of extreme anxiety.
- Talking with someone who is supportive can be one of the best ways to deal with an anxiety attack as well as learn to deal with future panic attacks and bouts with worry as well.
- Various forms of meditation like yoga or even just simple breathing exercises can really help a person deal with anxiety and all the symptoms that come with it. Having a meditation routine in place and knowing what to do when an anxiety attack comes on is important.
- Watching TV or engaging in another mindless activity that is passive is another good way to combat an anxiety attack. This is not always possible, but if you are at home and find a sense of worry is troubling you, vegging out in front of the television may help.
- A long bath with warm water and bath salts or bubbles may be just what you need to transport your mind to another place, which can allow you to relax. This is not going to be possible in public situations, of course, but at home it can help tremendously.
- Resting in a dark room with your eyes open or closed can help calm your whole body. You want to make sure you do not dwell on any problems in your life. You want to learn to combine meditation with resting so that you can genuinely get help from the sleep or rest that you get.
- Breathing exercises go along with meditation and resting. When you learn how to breathe more efficiently when you are suffering a panic attack, you can learn to control the situation and keep your emotions in check so that you do not have to suffer the symptoms of an anxiety attack.
As you can see, there are quite a few ways in which you can help combat the effects of an anxiety or panic attack – at home or in a public place. The important thing is to recognize that you have a problem with anxiety or worry and putting a plan in place to battle it and help control the symptoms of anxiety so they do not control your life completely.