Types of Mental Illness
There are various types of mental illness that affect people in various ways. While science and medicine has come a long way in treating people with mental illnesses, there is still a lot that is not known. Still, there has never been a better time to be alive when it comes to mental health. Today, it is quiet easy to learn about the various types of mental illnesses that have a negative effect on people’s lives.
Below we are going to give a little more information about the various types of mental illnesses that are common. If you or someone you know exhibits any of the signs or symptoms of any of the mental health problems listed below, you should seek the help of a mental health expert. Having said that, the more you know about the various kinds of mental health disorders that exist, the better chance you are going to have of noticing when there is a problem and doing something to help.
Common Types of Mental Illness
Here is a quick look at some of the more common kinds of mental illnesses. This is by no means a comprehensive list, but it should give you a good general overview of the different types of mental health problems that exist.
- Anxiety disorders – Feeling nervous, anxious and having the body exhibit all the signs that come with these feelings can be disconcerting for some people. In fact, some people have full blown panic attacks that cause them to black out or space out when in a difficult or stressful situation.
- Mood disorders – From depression to major depression and other problems in between, there are quite a few mood disorders that can disrupt a person’s life and their ability to enjoy life.
- Psychotic disorders – These are more serious and should be taking seriously. Generally, the more psychotic mental illnesses will involve violence – either toward the self or other people. This is not always the case, however, which is why seeking help for someone with a psychotic disorder is important.
- Personality disorders – When it comes to personalities, everyone is a bit different in their own way. However, there are various personality disorders that should be considered serious mental health problems.
- Eating disorders – Eating healthy is important for a lot of reasons. From making sure you get all the nutrients and vitamins you need every day to making sure you do not put on too much weight, there are a lot of ways that eating disorders can seriously affect your life.
- Impulse and addiction disorders – Obsessive Compulsive Disorder is just one impulse disorder that can affect you. There are other types of addictive behavior that can cause problems as well, including an addiction to gambling or sex.
As you can see, even a minor mental health issue can have serious effects on a person’s life, especially on their ability to have a rewarding and happy life. Next we are going to take a look at some of the other, less common kinds of mental illness that can affect a person.
Less Common Types of Mental Illness
Schizophrenia and bipolar disorder may be less common, but they are also much more serious than some of the other types of mental illness listed above. While anxiety and mood disorders can lead to major depression which is very serious on its own, schizophrenia and other mental problems can be harder to treat so that a person can have a normal and rewarding life.
Treatments for Mental Illness
Depending on what particular type of mental illness you have, there are various treatments that will be available. From medication to counselling, those that have mental health issues today are going to receive some of the best help possible – if they ask for it. This is a big problem for many people, which is why knowing the signs and symptoms of the various mental illnesses is so important.
The sooner you get help for any type of mental illness, the better chance you are going to have of being able to enjoy a normal and healthy life. Balance is important in life, and a mental illness can really throw you off balance in many different ways. This is why treatment for mental disorders is so crucial. The more you know about the different kinds of mental illnesses, the more you are going to be able to do to help.
Mental Illness Symptoms
You can read more about various signs and symptoms of mental illness by viewing our other pages within the site. We have broken down some of the common illnesses you will find along with the mental illness symptoms for each condition.